This course provides an introduction to problem solving, analysis and design of
small-scale computational systems. Solutions will be implemented using a
procedural programming language. This course is targeted at students wishing to
combine studies in computer science with studies in other disciplines.
- Ben will have office hours at the following times during the exam
Emails received by 11:59pm on Monday April 24 should receive a response
before the exam.
- Wednesday April 19 from 9:00 to 11:00
- Friday April 21 from 1:00 to 3:00
- Monday April 24 from 1:00 to 3:00
- The deadline for Assignment 4 has been pushed back to Thursday April 13, 2017 at 5:00pm.
Teaching assistants are available at the "Continuous Tutorial" desk in the Math
Sciences computer lab at the following times.
The first day of continuous tutorial is January 23, 2017. There are no continuous tutorials during reading week.
The last day of Continuous Tutorial for the winter term is Thursday
April 13, 2017.
- No classes from February 20 to 24 due to the midterm reading break.
- Midterm Exam: Friday March 3, 2017 at 5:00pm. The 12:00pm class will be writing in ST 140. The 2:00pm class will be writing in ST 148.
- Final Exam: Tuesday April 25, 2017 at 7:00pm in the Gold Gym.
The due dates for the assignments and exercises can be found in the Assignments and Exercises sections of this page.
- Guidelines for Avoiding Plagiarism
- Assignment 1
- Due Date: Friday February 10, 2017 at 12:00 noon
- Assignment Description
- The images submitted for the assignment are available
- Assignment 2
- Assignment 3
- Due Date: Friday March 31, 2017 at 12:00 noon
- Assignment Description
- There is a little bit of ambiguity in the description of the
parameters to the columnFull function. The first parameter
coming into your function will be the entire game board. The
second parameter will be an integer identifying the column
within the board that we want to check to see whether or not it
- Note that Connect4.py relies on having SimpleGraphics version
1.0.8, which was released on March 17, 2017. If your program
is crashing with 'NameError: name 'setArrow' is not defined'
then you need to download SimpleGraphics again.
- Assignment 4
- Exercise 1
- Exercise 2
- Exercise 3
- Exercise 4
- Exercise 5
- Exercise 6
- Exercise 7
- Exercise 8
- Due Date: Tuesday April 25, 2017 at 11:59pm
- Exercise 8 is a Survey about the Videos. You will need your UCIT username and
password to access the survey (not your Computer Science username and
password). Note that it may take a couple of clicks to get through to
the survey itself because of how UCIT set it up. If you aren't already
logged in, click on the link above, then:
- Click on the 'Login' button
- Enter your UCIT username and password
- Complete and submit the survey