The purpose of this course is to introduce the key concepts and principles of computer networks. Throughout the course, the Internet's architecture and protocols will be used as the primary examples to illustrate the fundamental principles of computer networking.
The course will use a top-down approach to study the Internet and its protocol stack. First, we will study popular network applications, such as email, Web, media streaming, and Peer-to-Peer (P2P) file sharing applications. Next, we will study TCP/IP and the communication services required to support these network applications. Finally, we will study how these communication services are implemented and deployed in practical networks, including wired and wireless Local Area Network (LAN) environments.
See the official CPSC 441 calendar entry for course description and information on pre-requisites. The official CPSC 441 course information sheet is also here. Please ensure that you have the correct pre-requisites to take this course. Students without the proper pre-requisites cannot obtain credit for CPSC 441.
CPSC 441 lectures take place on MWF at 12 noon in ST 139.
The first lecture is Monday, January 9, 2012.
- April 17, 2012: The CPSC 441 final exam is on Saturday, April 21 at 3:30pm in ST 135. Good luck!
- April 13, 2012: Last day of class. Course review, and final exam preparation. (Pizza party very likely at 12:30pm!)
- April 10, 2012: Reminding that Assignment 5 is due tonight at 11:59pm.
- April 1, 2012: The silly Assignment 6 is due on Monday, April 30.
- March 30, 2012: Assignment 5 is due on TUESDAY, April 10 at 11:59pm.
- March 29, 2012: Assignment 4 is due tonight at 11:59pm!!
- March 23, 2012: The CPSC 441 final exam will take place on Saturday, April 21 at 3:30pm in ST 135.
- March 19, 2012: Reminder that Assignment 4 is due March 29.
- March 7, 2012: Sample output format now shown on Assignment 3 page.
- March 5, 2012: CPSC 441 midterm exams returned, and sample solution posted online.
- March 2, 2012: CPSC 441 midterm exam administered by Professor Ghaderi.
- February 27, 2012: CPSC 441 midterm exam takes place in class on Friday March 2!
- February 27, 2012: Assignment 3 is due on March 15 at 11:59pm.
- February 13, 2012: Sample output format now shown on Assignment 2 page, along with details on assignment submission requirements.
- February 3, 2012: Assignment 2 is due on February 16 at 11:59pm!!
- February 1, 2012: A reminder that Assignment 1 is due Thursday, February 2 at 11:59pm!!
- January 27, 2012: Demos of Assignment 1 solutions will be done with your TA or professor on Monday, February 6. Please sign up for a time slot that works for you.
- January 20, 2012: The midterm exam will be held during class on Friday, March 2.
- January 16, 2012: Tutorials start on Monday of this week. Don't forget!!
- January 13, 2012: Assignment 1 is ready now! It is due on February 2.
- January 9, 2012: First lecture is at 12 noon in ST 139. See you there!
- January 6, 2012: General cleanup and updates to site content.
- November 14, 2011: Initial version of course Web site launched.