Home Contact Recent Papers Supervision MyUofC My Calendar
Projects Courses ACM Portal Google UofC (ACM, IEEE, Elsevier)
Faramarz F. Samavati is a Professor of the Department of Computer Science at the University of Calgary. His research interests include Computer Graphics, Geometric Modeling, Visualization, and 3D Imaging. Dr. Samavati has published over 100 technical papers in peer-reviewed journals and conferences, and a book on Sketch-based Modeling (Springer, Google books, Amazon). Dr. Samavati currently supervises a group of very good graduate students. He is a member of ACM. He was the general co-chair of SBIM 2009 and the Graphics co-chair of Graphics Interface 2013. He is a program committee member of Expressive 2015 and ISDE 2015. Currently, he is an Associate Editor of Computer & Graphics (Elsevier's journal), and a network investigator of GRAND NCE (Networks of Centres of Excellence of Canada in Graphics, Animation and New Media). Dr. Samavati currently holds several research grants: NSERC DG, NSERC CRD (with PYXIS Innovation), and GRAND NCE.
Recent Honours and Awards
- Honoured by the president of the University of Calgary for contribution to the development of new ventures, technologies and innovations, November 2014.
- Best Paper Award of IEEE International Conference on Cyberworlds 2014 (Mahmudul Hasan, Faramarz Samavati, and Christian Jacob), October 2014.
- Great Supervisor Award, Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Calgary, September 2014.
- Digital Alberta Award 2013, Best in Cross-Platform, Sketch3D (GRVis), Jun 2013.
- Michael Sweeney award for Best Student Paper in graphics at the Graphics Interface conference 2013. Ali Mahdavi-Amiri and Faramarz F. Samavati, ACM: Atlas of Connectivity Maps for Semiregular Models.
- IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications 2011 Best Paper Award. Luke Olsen, Faramarz Samavati, and Joaquim Jorge, NaturaSketch: Modeling from Images and Natural Sketches.
- Best Paper Award from Computer Graphics International, 2011, Ottawa, Canada.Runions, A., and Samavati, F.F., Partition of Unity Parametrics: A framework for meta-modeling.
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) Recognition of Service Award, In Appreciation for Contributions to ACM, Co-Chair, Sixth ACM/Eurographics Symposium on Sketch-Based Modeling and Interaction, Aug 1-2, 2009.