Home Contact Recent Papers Supervision MyUofC My Calendar
Projects Courses ACM Portal Google UofC (ACM, IEEE, Elsevier)
Faramarz F. Samavati is a full professor of the Department of Computer Science at the University of Calgary. His research interests include Computer Graphics, Geometric Modeling, Visualization, and 3D Imaging. Dr. Samavati has published over 100 technical papers in peer-reviewed journals and conferences, and a book on Sketch-based Modeling (Springer, Google books, Amazon). Dr. Samavati currently supervises a group of very good graduate students. He is a member of ACM. He was the general co-chair of SBIM 2009 and the Graphics co-chair of Graphics Interface 2013. He is a program committee member of Expressive 2016 and Eurographics 2016. Currently, he is an Associate Editor of Computer & Graphics (Elsevier's journal). Dr. Samavati currently holds several research grants (NSERC DG and two NSERC CRDs with PYXIS Innovation and Circlecvi).
Recent Honours and Awards
- Alberta Science and Technology Leadership 2017, Finalist. Nominated by the Faculty of Science for Outstanding Leadership in Alberta Technology. The ASTech Awards are Alberta's highest Science and Technology honours.
- Best Paper Award of ACM/Eurographics Expressive 2017 (The Joint Symposium on Computational Aesthetics, Sketch-Based Interfaces and Modeling, and Non-Photorealistic Animation and Rendering), for the paper: Real-Time Panorama Maps, Alex Brown and Faramarz Samavati (paper, video).
- Best Paper Award of IEEE International Conference on Cyberworlds (Kaveh Ketabchi, Adam Runions, and Faramarz Samavati), in cooperation with ACM SIGGRAPH and Eurographics, IEEE Computer Society, October 2015.
- Honoured by the president of the University of Calgary for contribution to the development of new ventures, technologies and innovations, November 2014.
- Best Paper Award of IEEE International Conference on Cyberworlds 2014 (Mahmudul Hasan, Faramarz Samavati, and Christian Jacob), October 2014.
- Great Supervisor Award, Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Calgary, September 2014.
- Digital Alberta Award 2013, Best in Cross-Platform, Sketch3D (GRVis), Jun 2013.
- Michael Sweeney award for Best Student Paper in graphics at the Graphics Interface conference 2013. Ali Mahdavi-Amiri and Faramarz F. Samavati, ACM: Atlas of Connectivity Maps for Semiregular Models.
- IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications 2011 Best Paper Award. Luke Olsen, Faramarz Samavati, and Joaquim Jorge, NaturaSketch: Modeling from Images and Natural Sketches.
- Best Paper Award from Computer Graphics International, 2011, Ottawa, Canada.Runions, A., and Samavati, F.F., Partition of Unity Parametrics: A framework for meta-modeling.
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) Recognition of Service Award, In Appreciation for Contributions to ACM, Co-Chair, Sixth ACM/Eurographics Symposium on Sketch-Based Modeling and Interaction, Aug 1-2, 2009.