Possible Course Readings
Readings will be selected from this tentative list. The reading selection varies, as it depends on the actual projects assigned each year.
- Textbook Bill Buxton (2007) Sketching User Experiences: Getting the Design Right and the Right Design. Morgan Kaufmann.
- Scott Berkun. How to run a design critique. Posted on scottberkun.com.
Creativity and Innovation
- Scott Berkun. At CMU: Innovation. Video presentation (51 minutes). Its the 2nd video on this page.
Physical User Interfaces
- Greenberg, S. and Fitchett, C. (2001)
Phidgets: Easy Development of Physical Interfaces through Physical Widgets. Proceedings of the UIST 2001 14th Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, November 11-14, Orlando, Florida, p209-218, ACM Press. Includes video figure.
- Ishii, H. and Ullmer, B.,
Tangible Bits: Towards Seamless Interfaces between People, Bits and Atoms, in Proceedings of Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems CHI '97), (Atlanta, March 1997), ACM Press, pp. 234-241.
- (optional) Many student projects on phidgets are viewable at http://grouplab.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/phidgets/gallery/index.html . View the many videos on that site.
- (optional) Other excellent papers/systems have been produced by the tangible media group, http://tangible.media.mit.edu. Visit their projects to get a quick overview of the things they have created, and their papers to read about details.
Single Display Groupware
- Bier, E. and Freeman, S.
MMM: A User Interface Architecture for Shared Editors on a Single Screen. Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, 79-86. 1991. Note: A good video of MMM is also available.
- Tse, E. and Greenberg, S. (2004)
Rapidly Prototyping Single Display Groupware through the SDGToolkit. Proc Fifth Australasian User Interface Conference, Volume 28 in the CRPIT Conferences in Research and Practice in Information Technology Series, (Dunedin, NZ January), Australian Computer Society Inc., p101-110
- (video) Tse, E. and Greenberg. S. (2004)
SDG Toolkit. Video Proceedings of the ACM CSCW Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work. (November 6-10, Chicago, Illinois). ACM Press. Video and abstract, duration 3:55.
- (optional) Stewart, J., Bederson. B. and Druin, A.
Single Display Groupware: A Model for Co-Present Collaboration. Proceedings of ACM CHI 99 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems 1999 v.1 286-293.
- (optional) Druin, A., Stewart, J., Proft, D., Bederson, B. and Hollan, J.
KidPad: A Design Collaboration Between Children, Technologists, and Educators. Proceedings of ACM CHI 97 Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems 1997 v.1, 463-470.
- Chapter 4.8 Prototyping.(Extract) Nielsen, J. (1993) Usability Engineering, p93-101, Academic Press.
- Prototyping for tiny fingers. Rettig, M. (1994) Communications of the ACM, 37(4), ACM Press.
- Low vs. high fidelity prototyping debate. Rudd, J., Stern, K. and Isensee, S. (1996) Interactions 3(1), p76-85, ACM Press.
- (optional) Pictive: An exploration in participatory design. Muller, M.J. (1991) In Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, p225-231, ACM Press.
- McEwan, G., and Greenberg, S. (2005)
Supporting Social Worlds with the Community Bar. Proceedings of the ACM Group 2005 Conference, ACM Press.
- Cadiz, JJ., Gina Danielle Venolia, Gavin Jancke, Anoop Gupta.
Sideshow: Providing Peripheral Awareness of Important Information. September 14th, 2001. Technical Report MSR-TR-2001-83, Microsoft Research.
- McEwan, G., and Greenberg, S. (2005)
Community Bar (The Video) (AVI). Video Proceedings of ECSCW - European
- (optional) Fass, A., Forlizzi, J., Pausch, R. (2002)
MessyDesk and MessyBoard: Two Designs Inspired By the Goal of Improving Human Memory. DIS 2002 Designing Interactive Systems, 303-311.
- (optional) Greenberg, S. and Rounding, M. (2001)
The Notification Collage: Posting Information to Public and Personal Displays. Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems [CHI Letters 3(1)], 515-521, ACM Press. Revised from Report 2000-667-19.
- (optional) Fitzpatrick, G. and Kaplan, S. (In submission)
Supporting Public Availability and Accessibility with Elvin. J CSCW, 11(3) 2002. Submission copy.
- (optional) Cadiz, JJ., Susan Fussell, Robert Kraut, F. Javier Lerch, and William Scherlis.
The Awareness Monitor: A Coordination Tool for Asynchronous, Distributed Work Teams. Unpublished manuscript. Demonstrated at the 1998 ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW 98).