Virus Bulletin References
Here's the references for, and some further information about, my
commentary article in the June 2005 Virus Bulletin.
- The Clarke quote only appears in the revised edition of Profiles
of the Future, Harper & Row, 1973, p. 21.
- One mobile phone worm (although there are others) is Cabir.
- The PDF worm I refer to is Peachy.
- The Sims 2 behavior is described in K. Poulsen, "Sims 2 hacks
spread like viruses", SecurityFocus News, 6 Jan 2005,
- Several articles about the Internet worm, a.k.a. the Morris worm,
can be found in the June 1989 issue of Communications of the ACM.
- Szor and Perriot have a good analysis of Slammer: "Slamdunk",
Virus Bulletin, March 2003, pp. 6-7.
- LG has an Internet fridge currently; it appears that Whirlpool tried
one several years ago as well.
- As I finished up this article, I ran across a related paper:
G. McGraw, "On bricks and walls: Why building secure
software is hard", Computers & Security 21(3), 2002,
pp. 229-238. He makes some of the same points, and I used
his example of extensible systems.
My thanks to Shannon Jaeger and Mike Zastre for reading and commenting
on this article, and to Helen Martin for her expert editing.
Department of Computer Science
University of Calgary